We begin the story with God walking with Adam in the cool of the day in the Garden of Eden. We end the story with the New Jerusalem descending to the New Earth and God being with us for eternity.
In between we see pictures of God’s ultimate desire of sharing Creation with His Ultimate Creation – Humanity:
1. God speaking to such as Cain, Noah, Abraham, Moses and Joshua.
2. God’s pillar of cloud by day and fire by night to lead the nation of Israel from Egypt and through the Wilderness.
3. The Mercy Seat on the Ark of the Covenant which “tabernacled” among the nation of Israel.
4. God’s naming of His Son as Immanuel – God With Us.
5. Jesus living among us, being tempted as we are tempted. Knowing our weakness, yet not succumbing to them.
6. The Holy Spirit dwelling within the believer.
7. In the midst of where two or three are gathered.
8. In the carrying out of ministry to those who are in need of water, clothing or visitation being done “unto Him”.
Righteousness is not God’s desire for humanity. It is a required means of God’s presence with us.
Living a holy life is not trying to please God. It is rather our saying to Him, “I want you in my life more than these”. When we sin we are not only disappointing God, we are saying, “I don’t want you around”. Sin is the ultimate story of unrequited love, of the willing suitor and the spurning object of His love. Sin is not ultimately disobedience, but relational distance.
If God is feeling far off, be sure that sin is nearby. It is only when Christ took upon himself the sins of the world that he cried out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?!”
God desires to walk with you. What do you desire?
Be sure of this if you choose sin, He will leave. He finally left the mercy seat and his beloved, Israel after all. This is Hell – the absence of God. Choose to be holy, for without holiness “no one will see God.”